Breakfast is a non-negotiable for me. Well, let's be honest, I don't miss any meals but absolutely never breakfast! I love a really good, healthy and filling breakfast to start my day. No matter what we have going on, we make time to eat breakfast. I'm the weekday breakfast maker while he's getting ready and Dan is the weekend breakfast maker while I'm at my workout class. Teamwork makes the dream work!
I will give you some ideas of make ahead options, fast morning of options as well as some options that take a little more time but still fast and easy. We all know that not every morning looks the same or goes as planned so having different ideas and options can prevent hangry freak-outs.
When we were both working full time and leaving really early in the mornings I was trying to find some make ahead breakfasts that we could reheat quickly to get out the door on time. Here are my favorite make ahead breakfasts:
- Whole wheat yogurt waffles - these have some great, healthy ingredients and you can definitely leave out the sugar. I usually get 8-10 waffles out of a batch. They freeze really well and toast up nice and crisp in the toaster. My favorite topping is crunchy pb with a little bit of honey and unsweetened coconut! My son loves these and it's something he can easily do himself. If you have a pancake recipe you love, the same should work for those also.
- On the go breakfast casserole cups - OMG these are so delicious and reheat very well! The nice thing about these is you can customize them to your liking. Feel free to leave out the cheese or add other veggies like peppers, onions or mushrooms. Want to omit the english muffins? Give that a try but you will want to decrease the liquid a bit because they soak up liquid when baking. You could totally eat these in the car too.
- Baked oatmeal breakfast cups - I've made the lemon version of these with chia seeds instead of poppy seeds and they were really good. Always add extra lemon!
- You can also cook up some scrambled eggs, your favorite sausage and roast some potatoes or sweet potatoes ahead of time. They reheat well in a bowl all together or in a corn or whole wheat tortilla for a little breakfast taco.
These are morning of breakfast ideas that are still quick, easy and healthy:
- Greek yogurt parfait - greek yogurt, fruit of choice (add a little honey if using plain greek yogurt) and your favorite toppings. I like chia seeds, unsweetened coconut, chopped nuts, and/or a little Honey Bunches of Oats cereal.
- Oatmeal with an egg- Yes, I mean an egg added in to the oatmeal when cooking it. Just try it =) I use 1/2 cup oats, 1 egg and enough liquid to cover and mix, maybe a little over 1/2 cup. Mix well and microwave 1 minute. Take out, mix again and microwave for 1 more minute. Mix in desired toppings and enjoy! The egg adds additional protein and nutrients.
- Banana cereal - see recipe section
Morning of breakfast ideas that take 5-10 minutes:
- Avocado toast with a fried egg- Holy yummy! I like sprouted grain bread toasted, smeared with avocado and a fried egg on top and some fruit. Super easy and super filling.
- My favorite breakfast is 2 eggs over medium, 1/2 chicken sausage and a small or 1/2 baked sweet potato. What the heck, throw a little avocado on there to top it off! To bake the sweet potato, poke holes in the skin with a knife or fork and microwave for 4-5 minutes if it is a fairly small potato. The potato should squish easily when done. Slice lengthwise and scoop potato out of skin. Top with sausage and eggs. I cook my eggs then toss the chopped up sausage in the same pan to dirty less dishes.
- Banana pancakes- see recipe section. I love, love these pancakes. They will taste like bananas and won't be fluffy like regular pancakes just so you aren't disappointed. They are really good, though, especially with some peanut butter on top!
I hope this gives you some different ideas for breakfast that aren't your typical easy options (sorry for the lack of pictures, I'll work on that!). Start your day off right with a healthy breakfast to feed your mind and body!